Bog Latin / Dog Latin
Our web page on Legal Latin is well known. Here we have (nearly all unoriginal to me) a series of latin phrases which may have been written at various times on . . . . Er . . . Bog walls. (Neither the Latin nor the translations are a serious work of scholarship)
- Nullus anxietas - The motto of the XXXXUU - the Unseen University of Four-X - No Worries. Terry Pratchet.
- vis vobiscum - 'may the force be with you' - Was the Pope really an extra on Star Wars? - DLS
- 'lex vobicum' - may the law be with you. (DLS)
- 'lis vobiscum' - may you win your case. (DLS)
The following are contributions from others.
- 'Non calor sed umor est qui nobis incommodat'. It's not the heat, it's the humidity.
- 'Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!' - God, look at the time! My wife will kill me!
- Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? - Is that a scroll in your toga, or are you just happy to see me?
- Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.'
When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults.
- 'Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est. ' The designated hitter rule has got to go.
- 'Sona si latine loqueris. ' Honk if you speak Latin.
- 'Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure. ' I can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.
- 'Vacca Foeda!' - Stupid Cow!
- 'Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert.' - Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.
- 'Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare. ' - I think some people in togas are plotting against me.
- 'Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.' - In the good old days, children like you were left to perish on windswept crags.
- 'Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris. ' - If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar.
- 'Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari? ' - How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
- 'Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.' - I'm not interested in your dopey religious cult.
- 'Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem.' - Stand aside, little people! I'm here on official business.
- (At a poetry reading) 'Nullo metro compositum est.' - It doesn't rhyme.
- 'Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema.' - I don't care. If it doesn't rhyme, it isn't a poem.
- 'Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.' - A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
- 'Tuis pugis pignore!' - You bet your bippy!
- 'Quomodo cogis comas tuas sic videri?' - How do you get your hair to do that?
- 'Feles mala! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui.' - Bad kitty! Why don't you use the cat box? I put new litter in it.
- 'Romani quidem artem amatoriam invenerunt.' - You know, the Romans invented the art of love.
'Aio, quantitas magna frumentorum est.' - Yes, that is a very large amount of corn.
- (At a barbeque) 'Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri?' - Ever noticed how wherever you stand, the smoke goes right into your face?
- 'Neutiquam erro.' - I am not lost.
'Solum potestis prohibere ignes silvarum.' - Only you are can prevent forest fires.
'Ita erat quando hic adveni.' - It was that way when I got here.
'Sic hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.' - If you can read this bumper sticker, you are very well educated and much too close.
- 'Hocine bibo aut in eum digitos insero?' - Do I drink this or stick my fingers in it?
- 'You can't say that in Latin.' - Illiud Latine dici non potest.
- 'Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.' - Oh! Was I speaking Latin again? Silly me. Sometimes it just sort of slips out.
- 'Non illigitamus carborundum' - Don't let the bastards grind you down
Thank you whoever it was who sent me the email with the more literate parts of the above.