Please take the time to explore these links. Once you get used to what is provided, the power to enquire about the law is properly substantial. Suggestions for further leading cases, statutes, links and corrections are always welcome. I give my warm thanks to those who have suggested material.
- NEW swarb.co.uk cases
recent (lawindexpro.co.uk) - Up to 10 recent cases on this area of law
historic (swarb.co.uk) - many cases on this topic from before 2000.
- Crown Prosecution Service, Regina (on The Application of) -v- Wolverhampton Magistrates' Court; Admn 27-Nov-2009 - The CPS appealed by case stated against the dismissal of a charge of driving with excess alcohol. The arresting officer had not administered the roadside breath test not having one with him, and had not been trained to make the necessary assessment. The driver had said that the arrest without the test was unlawful.
Regina -v- Curtis (Attorney Generals Reference No 17 of 2009) - The Attorney General appealed against a sentence of 21 months imposed on the defendant. She was convicted of causing death by dangerous driving. The accident had occurred after she had been using her mobile phone to send text messages, but not at the moment of or immediately after sending one.
Regina -v- HM Coroner for the Eastern District of the Metropolitan County of West Yorkshire ex parte National Union of Mineworkers; CA 1985 - A union picket had been knocked down by a lorry.<br />Held: The coroner had been correct not to summon a jury pursuant to the section. It was of crucial importance that the facts did not have ‘any particular feature which distinguishes it from any other kind of road accident to the circumstances of which courts, time and time again, have to listen in order to reach a determination be it in criminal or civil proceedings.’
- Highways Act 1835 / 50 -|- Case law
An Act to consolidate and amend the laws relating to highways in . .England.
- Metropolitan Public Carriage Act 1869 / 115 -|- Case law -|- See Also:, Licensing
An Act for amending the Law relating to Hackney and Stage Carriages within the Metropolitan Police District.
- Road Traffic Act 1960 / 16 -|- Case law
An Act to consolidate, with corrections and improvements made under the Consolidation of Enactments (Procedure) Act 1949, certain enactments relating to road traffic.
- Highways Act 1980 / 66 -|- Case law -|- See Also:, Local Government
An Act to consolidate the Highways Acts 1959 to 1971 and related enactments, with amendments to give effect to recommendations of the Law Commission.
- Motor Cycle Noise Act 1987 / 34 -|- Case law
An Act to prohibit the supply of motor cycle exhaust systems and silencers likely to result in the emission of excessive noise; and for connected purposes.
- Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 / 53 -|- Case law -|- See Also:, Scotland, Criminal Sentencing
An Act to consolidate certain enactments relating to the prosecution and punishment (including the punishment without conviction) of road traffic offences with amendments to give effect to recommendations of the Law Commission and the Scottish Law Commission.
Road Traffic Act 1988 / 52 -|- Case law
An Act to consolidate certain enactments relating to road traffic with amendments to give effect to recommendations of the Law Commission and the Scottish Law Commission.
- New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 / 22 -|- Case law -|- See Also: Utilities, Transport, Local Government
An Act to amend the law relating to roads so as to enable new roads to be provided by new means; to make new provision with respect to street works and, in Scotland, road works; and for connected purposes.
- Vehicles (Crime) Act 2001 / 3 -|- Explanatory Note -|- Case law
An Act to regulate motor salvage operators and registration plate suppliers; to make further provision for preventing or detecting vehicle crime; to enable the Secretary of State to make payments in respect of certain expenditure relating to vehicle crime; and for connected purposes.
- Traffic Management Act 2004 / 18 -|- Explanatory Note -|- Case law -|- See Also:, Transport, Utilities, Local Government
An Act to make provision for and in connection with the designation of traffic officers and their duties; to make provision in relation to the management of road networks; to make new provision for regulating the carrying out of works and other activities in the street; to amend Part 3 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 and Parts 9 and 14 of the Highways Act 1980; to make new provision in relation to the civil enforcement of traffic contraventions; to amend section 55 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984; and for connected purposes.
- Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005 / 16 -|- Explanatory Note -|- Case law -|- See Also: Crime, Environment, Animals, Nuisance
An Act to amend section 6 of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998; to make provision for the gating of certain minor highways; to make provision in relation to vehicles parked on roads that are exposed for sale or being repaired; to make provision in relation to abandoned vehicles and the removal and disposal of vehicles; to make provision relating to litter and refuse, graffiti, fly-posting and the display of advertisements; to make provision relating to the transportation, collection, disposal and management of waste; to make provision relating to the control of dogs and to amend the law relating to stray dogs; to make provision in relation to noise; to provide for the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment and for the making of grants relating to the quality of the built environment; to amend the law relating to abandoned shopping and luggage trolleys; to amend the law relating to statutory nuisances; to amend section 78L of the Environmental Protection Act 1990; to amend the law relating to offences under Schedule 1 to the Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999; and for connected purposes.
- London Local Authorities and Transport for London Act 2008 / iii -|- Case law -|- See Also: Transport
An Act to confer further powers upon local authorities in London and upon Transport for London; and for related purposes.
- DVLA -|- Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency